« Home | Why blogs in school? » | Fear of Blogging? » | test » 

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 

Blogging and the Educational Imperative

Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous"
(Confucius)


Since my recent introduction to blogging, I've been blessed with the opportunity to read from a wide variety of offerings, some of which have obliged me to adjust a few of my long-held positions about education. Rubbing up against the minds of others, after 35 years in this field, provides me with a rejuvenated sense of hope and subsequent expectation.
There is always concern expressed, in education, that things are "...not the way it used to be", that somehow education and its "clients" have changed. I consider that to be an astute observation rather than a cry of exasperation.. I am thankful every day that it has changed, that it continues to evolve, that it morphs to better meet the needs and challenges of our young people. The French author, Paul Valery, once observed that "....the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be"!
The Educational Imperative hasn't changed. The methodologies and tools may have....as they should, since the advent of technology has moved the learning paradigm and continues to do so in quantum leaps. I share the concerns about blogging that many of my fellow administrators and teachers have amply expressed in these pages, but the overall benefits that I have observed this past year with our students far outweigh the pitfalls. The ethics, the etiquette , the respect for others' opinions that our teachers have taught their students as part of their blogging lives will transcend the vast volume of knowledge that they will access. The Educational Imperative continues to be in good hands.

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Mr.Beaumont
  • From winnipeg, manitoba, Canada
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates